Sunday, May 22, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie


Tonight Brandon and I are going over to his parent's house for dinner to celebrate his sister coming home from college. I asked what I could bring, and as usual it was my favorite part of the meal - dessert. I was running around doing stuff all day so I needed something quick and easy and decided to make something I've always wanted to make but never have: peanut butter pie. I used a base recipe from http://www.marthastewart.com/258413/chocolate-peanut-butter-pie. I had all the ingredients, but not in the quantities that the recipe called for. I needed six ounces of cream cheese and I only had two ounces left over from another recipe I made, so I added some sour cream to make up for it. A very similar ingredient that I've used as a substitute before. Then I just measured out about a cup of peanut butter and beat those together until they got fluffy. I added 1/4 cup brown sugar, which is what another recipe for a peanut butter tart called for and it sounded good. Then I added a little salt and vanilla, just eyeballing everything. The key part of this pie is the whipped cream. A hint I heard of a long time ago from Rachel Ray, and that I've been doing ever since, is that you chill the bowl and the beaters along with the cream to make it hold better. So I whipped one cup of whipping cream and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, also to help it hold its shape. Then I folded the the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture and poured it into the pie shell.

Because I was short on time I was going to buy chocolate cookie crumbs and make a crust from that, but the grocery store I went to (Safeway) only had the pre-made Oreo crust so that's what I got. I hated the fact that I had to because of time, who knows what artificial ingredients and preservatives are in there. In the past when I had time I've even made my own chocolate cookies to crumble and make a crust from that. But this pie should still be good and satisfying, and it only took 10 minutes to put together. I hope everyone likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment