Friday, May 20, 2011

Dark Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Frosting


Today at work we celebrated one of the supervisors 40th birthday. The other supervisors were going to buy a cake but I convinced them to let me make it, so they gave me the money they were going to spend on an order. This is the first time I've been paid for what I was making, a very exciting time. I used a recipe I've used before that I knew was great, dark chocolate cake from http://www.marthastewart.com/333219/dark-chocolate-cake-with-ganache-frostin?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/chocolate-cake-recipes. I like it because the recipe calls for melted chocolate chips. A lot of chocolate cakes turn out dry and somehow tasteless, but this one is perfectly moist and chocolatey. The first time I made it is the picture below. I had just watched It's Complicated and how she had the exact life I wanted (except for being divorced) and the one night she made chocolate cake just because, I wanted to do that too. 


I think when it comes to cakes like this the frosting is more important than the cake. I used my new favorite frosting recipe. I think I've only made it about four times but it is AMAZING. Again, you melt chocolate chips, but you also mix in cocoa powder with boiling water, butter, and just a little bit of powdered sugar.It's extremely soft, silky, and chocolatey. I got the recipe from Martha Stewart's cupcake cookbook. It never fails.

Today was a good day; everyone loved the cake, I got several people asking if I was a baker. The answer would be yes, I would do this for a living if I could. Someone even told me I had missed my calling, that was almost depressing. I'm only 24, I still have a lot of time to figure out what I want to do with my life. But something in the baking/food world would be incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment