Saturday, May 14, 2011

Beef Skewers


It's been a while since I've written and we've had a few dinners in the meantime. On Tuesday Brandon was flipping through my Food Everyday 2 cookbook by Martha Stewart and wanted me to make the recipe for beef skewers with horseradish dipping sauce. Neither Brandon nor I really like horseradish, so Brandon asked me to make tzatziki (although he doesn't know the know what it's called, I've just made it before and he liked it). Brandon pretty much picked out the whole dinner. He also wanted rice, he always likes plain rice. And he specifically asked for one of his favorite salads: tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette. Super easy and super delicious. I wanted to add some vegetables to the main course, so I cut up a bell pepper and half an onion. I sliced one piece of steak and marinated it in lots of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil with the pepper and onion for about 45 minutes and then put them on skewers.

It would have been really good on a barbeque, but we don't have room for one at our apartment so I did the next best thing- I broiled it.  It's like a barbeque in the way you put the food close to the heat source, and if you had a gas oven it would be exactly like a gas barbeque. I didn't cook it very long, because we were hungry and didn't want to wait, so the meat was cooked medium rare and the vegetables were still a bit crisp. But it tasted good, especially with the tzatziki that someone from work made. It was delicious. In all of this I never even glanced at the recipe Brandon had wanted me to make, we changed the style of what it was going to be with just the sauce, and I made up the rest from there with things I had eaten or seen before. And it turned out good.

No comments:

Post a Comment