Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Homemade Tortillas


I have always wanted to make my own tortillas, and tonight I finally tried. I would say that if I had a tortilla press these probably would have turned out, but tonight they didn't. I used a recipe on MarthaStewart.com (http://www.marthastewart.com/343224/corn-tortillas). The dough was fine, but trying to get it into a thin circle was virtually impossible. I tried patting it in my hands, I tried patting it out on my silpat. I tried rolling it with a rolling pin, nothing worked without tearing it. So I got it was nice looking as I could and put it on the griddle. It should have gotten a lot more well done, but Brandon was hungry and impatient so as soon as it was looking like you could make a taco with it he pulled it off. They tasted fine, like regular corn tortilla without much other flavor. But the recipe just called for water and masa harina. I would make them again, if I had a tortilla press and perhaps a iron cast skillet and not just the pancake kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment