Sunday, June 26, 2011

Father's Day Present



For holidays and birthdays I like to give people a gift that is affordable and something I know they'll enjoy. I almost always bake something. For Father's Day this year I made my dad sesame soy cashews from Martha Stewart Living December 2003. It was pretty simple to whip up, I just had to bake it and stir it for almost an hour. But then end result is something amazing. I made this once before for a poker night party and my best friend and I made ourselves sick because we couldn't stop eating them they were so good.

The Recipe:
1/4 cup (abbreviated c. from now on) soy sauce
2 T (tablespoons) sugar
1 t (teaspoon) sesame oil
1 t fresh grated ginger
3/4 t ground ginger
4 c roasted cashews
1/4 c sesame seeds

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then pour it out on a baking sheet or silpat. Bake at 250 for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until they're dry.

All these ingredients I already had, besides the nuts, even the ginger, which I've had fresh for a long time. I learned somewhere (probably from Martha) that when you buy a whole piece of ginger root at the store you usually only use a small portion. Keep it in a ziploc in the freezer and use a microplane zester (or very small holes on a cheese grater) while it's still frozen every time you need it. I don't even bother trying to scrape of the paper coating. You can't tell when it's all grated together. Then you can spend a couple cents on something and add a little bit of great flavor to many meals and make it last months.

The label came from Marthastewart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment